3 Decluttering Techniques | Minimalism

Welcome back to another declutter post! I am a self proclaimed queen of decluttering or as my husband’s say “purge”. Today I am sharing my recent declutter pile and three decluttering methods or techniques you can use to declutter your home and life.

90/90 Rule

This rule can be used on any and all items.
Have you used this item in the past 90 days?
And if not, will you use it in the 90 days ahead?
If the answer is no to both questions, then the item can go.

20/20 Rule

This rule states that if you can replace something for less than $20 and in under 20 minutes, it can be decluttered.

The Four Box Technique: Relocate, Donate, Trash, Sell

This technique will require you to gather four boxes or you can use bags. Each box needs to be labeled with Relocate, Donate, Trash or Sell. Work room by room and assort items into categories.
Relocate Box: Put items in this box that you cannot part with or that need to be relocated with but do not need on a regular basis.
Donate Box: Be generous with this box. Think about how someone else might be able to use these items.
Trash Box: This box should be pretty clear. Anything that is trash will go into this box.
Sell: Again, I would be generous with this box. Anything you know that you can make some money off but no longer serves you should be in this box.

Recent Declutter

This is my most recent declutter. I asked myself some questions during this declutter. Have I used the item in the past year? If not, will I be using it in the next year? Does it bring my joy? Do I have multiples? The clothing are pieces that no longer fit me or I did not enjoy the item. The craft supplies have been sitting around for years and I have no plans to use the items. I decluttered some items I do not like such as the headphones. I have too many coffee mugs so I decluttered some older ones. I do not wear much makeup anymore and I have more than enough so I decluttered pieces I do not use or enjoy. Lastly, my pink shoes that I loved. The soles had holes and my feet were getting wet when it rains. So those had to go. I donated everything I could and do not miss a single item.

6 thoughts on “3 Decluttering Techniques | Minimalism

1. Lily-Anne January 19, 2022 / 8:12 pm

Can you give an example of the 20/20 rule? I’m a bit confused, but it sounds cool.

Liked by 1 person

• Rebekah Taylor January 20, 2022 / 7:37 am

I’ll use lipstick as an example. If you have a bunch of lipsticks and are decluttering them. So you pick one and ask yourself can I replace this for $20? Meaning can I buy a new one for $20? Yes. Can I replace it in 20 minutes if I needed to? Yes. I could just run to the store and easily replace it in under 20 minutes. So I declutter the item and chances are you never need to replace it and you won’t even think about it. Thats the goal. Hope that makes sense. Its a way of letting go of clutter.

Liked by 1 person

• Lily-Anne January 20, 2022 / 8:21 am

But it’s only for the lipsticks you don’t care about anymore right? You’re not doing it to all your lipsticks?

• Rebekah Taylor January 20, 2022 / 9:10 am

Its to whatever you want. If you have 20 lipsticks and want to get your collection down to five because your overwhelmed. The point is if you let go of something, you can easily replace it but you most likely won’t. If you love lipsticks and you love all 20 then I would keep them.

Liked by 1 person

2. justamarylandgirl January 21, 2022 / 12:13 am

Good job! I’m so bad about getting rid of shoes, so that would totally be me! I am hard to fit so if I’ve worn a pair long enough to get holes, then they fit me well and I clearly loved them. What methods do you use to sell? I have a poshmark closet and found that to be such a fun way to get rid of things that I felt were worth selling. And for craft supplies, my sister took them to her kids’ school and she said they were very well received by the teachers. So that’s an idea, even though goodwill is definitely a wonderfully convenient option!

• Rebekah Taylor January 21, 2022 / 9:26 am

Personally, I tend to avoid selling because I’m lazy. So I tend to donate or give for free. If I were to sell I would post on Facebook or something more local. I am not a fan of poshmark or sites like that because I think they are difficult to sell on and then stuff sits around longer.