Why I’m Not Making New Years Resolutions | New Years 2022

It’s that time of year when everyone is making New Years Resolutions. People are riding the high of starting fresh and new. Making big plans and changes to revamp their lives. They say “this time will be different”, but is it really? This year my resolution is….not to have any resolutions.

I was always big on making New Years Resolutions. They usually always focused on losing weight, getting more organized or starting a new hobby. The problem was I never stuck to them. They started out strong then fizzled away. The problem with making these resolutions is often times our goals are unrealistic, nonspecific and we caught up in the hype.

Last year I tried something different. Instead of making a list of resolutions I picked a phrase. That phrase is “intentional living” and it has changed my life and frame of mind. It meant learning to make better decisions for myself and my health. Living a life that aligns with my sense of self and purpose. Choosing to have things and people in my life that are truly important to me. People that build me up and make me a better person.

“LIVING WITH INTENTION MEANS SAYING NO TO THE THINGS THAT AREN’T IMPORTANT SO WE CAN SAY YES TO WHAT MATTERS MOST.”

-CRYSTAL PAINE

2021 was a year that I finally made changes. After years of saying and not doing I finally made intentional choices for my life. I lost 30 pounds, decluttered my home and my mind, and developed a happier and healthier life. I no longer feel so attached to material items and only have items in my home that I love and serve a purpose. I feel more intentional in every aspect and feel a sense of accomplishment and pride. Instead of focusing on just how I look by losing weight I focused on my health. There are still time when I struggle and that will always be present because this is life. But the changes I have made, the confidence I have built and the happiness I feel is indescribable. I have removed myself from social media and have improved the feelings of inadequacy that comes with social platforms. I have focused on myself, my purpose and my journey. And I am so dang happy.

So this year I will not be making any New Years Resolutions. What I will be doing is continuing to work on myself and living an intentional life.

Happy New Years

11 thoughts on “Why I’m Not Making New Years Resolutions | New Years 2022

1. jessicabehavingbravely January 2, 2022 / 5:26 pm

Love this! I too, find it daunting to make a “goal” or a “resolution”. In 2019 I chose the word “YES”. As long as it wasn’t dangerous/putting me in debt, I said YES to everything presented to me. I had SO MUCH growth it was amazing!!!!! 2020 and 2021 were about just surviving, but I knew I needed a change for 2022. So I chose the word BRAVE! I’m doing one small thing a week and one big thing a month to push me out of my comfort zone! I already feel so optimistic about 2022.

Liked by 3 people

• Rebekah Taylor January 2, 2022 / 5:44 pm

I love this! Usually we focus on saying “no” I think saying “yes” is a great way to grow and accept new things into your life. I love the word brave. I can feel your energy and optimistism.

Liked by 1 person

• Lily-Anne January 5, 2022 / 9:19 pm

I love that you’ve been saying yes more! I am striving to get out of my comfort zone and do the same. Good luck on the rest of your adventurous endeavors!

Liked by 1 person

2. Zainab January 3, 2022 / 6:31 am

I never really thought about it that way, but that’s seems like a great way to improve! That way, instead of only maybe doing your goal – you’lll implement it into your mind and it almost sort of becomes an affirmation, knowing you’ll do it! Great post Rebekah!

Liked by 2 people

3. Shelly DS January 4, 2022 / 5:49 am

I think New Years Resutions can work if people are intentional about them, but the majority of us just made them because it was expected. Like, who decided that on the 1st of Jan everyone needs to do something different? Living intentionally is definitely the right way to go about life 😊
    Here’s to an awesome continuation to your 2021 changes!

Liked by 2 people

• Rebekah Taylor January 4, 2022 / 6:54 pm

Everyday is the perfect day to start living intentionally. I love the idea of New Years but think being intentional is a better way to make and accomplish goals. Happy New Year.

Liked by 1 person

• Shelly DS January 5, 2022 / 4:58 am

Yep-that’s true! Happy New Year!

4. Lily-Anne January 5, 2022 / 9:07 pm

I started learning about minimalism a couple of years ago like you and became less materialistic and lost 10 pounds within the year. I’m so happy to read about how someone else experience the benefits of it too.
    Obviously, it wasn’t just the minimalism that helped you and your lifestyle but the intentions behind every decision as well.
    I will add to minimalism and intentionality though. Moderation was another big one for me too. Moderate activity (as in more variety), moderate eating choices, moderate everything because I realized that too much of one thing, no matter how good it might be, was a bad thing.

Liked by 1 person

• Rebekah Taylor January 6, 2022 / 7:39 am

Thank you for pointing out moderation! I absolutely agree with you. That is not something I thought about but it does go hand in hand with the concepts. I love to hear other peoples take on the topic. And congrats on the weight loss and becoming less materialistic.

Liked by 1 person